Parent Voice Meeting
Thursday 18th October 2018
A new format for parent voice this year. A table was set up during parent consultations to hear from you. The following items were raised:
- Can children have a school packed lunch during school trips? – We used to have this in place until the summer term 2018 when Rec& Year 1 went on their trip. All packed lunches were ready but 28 were left unused as parents had sent in packed lunches when they shouldn’t have. Since then we have decided because of the wastage on that day that parents would need to provide their own
- After school club – previously we did not have the numbers to make it viable. We don’t have staff to cover it so We are trying breakfast club this year and will consider after school club in the future.
- Consistent staffing – sometimes teachers are on a course but adequate cover is provided.
- Some Year 1 parents very happy with the excellent start their children have had – Thank you!
- Homework – some parents request this – the policy we now have for Home Learning will remain in place. Children are expected to read, complete spellings and timestables. They complete a project and have their activity grid. Curriculum maps and termly curriculum information sheets are available on the website so you know what your child is covering. Each week on the class news there is a general summary of topics (or will be). We will be changing our website and this will incorporate a learning zone.
- Children want to spend more time with their buddies – this doesn’t always help the younger children establish friendships so we don’t continue with it at lunch after the first few weeks. They do have opportunities throughout the year to catch up.
- After school learning club – this can happen and can be arranged if children want to complete the activities set for home learning or home activities.
- Children reading with an adult – all children should read with an adult in school weekly – some will be more frequent . Staff will address!
- Houses of Parliament trip – there will be some children invited to attend next term as an invite from our councillor
- Could we be given pointers on what we should work on from Espresso – the class curriculum information states this terms learning, it is set in year groups and your child in year 5 should share their current topics.
- Some year 5 parents very happy with TA and teacher – Thank You!
- Piano classes – please add your name at the office and I will pass the list to Miss Gunn to consider if we have enough numbers – This will then be communicated in the newsletter
Any other issues communicated will be addressed separately as they are not parent voice issues.